If I hear/read another person talk about Lincoln being a Republican as if he were a modern Republican then I may start a “going to your house and slapping you” spree. I get it, Republican and Republican it seems like they should be the same. Let me give you a few examples of why you are wrong. Lincoln wouldn’t know what to do with the Republican party of today.
- He would have never gotten elected because he was not religious. He considered himself to be a Christian, but did not attend church, and wrote about the importance of the separation of church and state.
- In 1861, he signed into law the 1st Federal Income Tax
- In 1862, he signed into law the Pacific Railroads Act, funding the expansion of railroads in the west. Last year, Republican’s stalled funding for Federal Highway Funds. Yes, the roads that you drive on, and you already pay taxes on each time you buy gas. Yes, they want to spend that money on other things.
- In 1862, he signed into law funding for land grant colleges.
- He holds the record for being the most “activist president.” Yes, he used his executive powers more than ANYONE else.
No really, Abraham Lincoln: Frontier Crusader For American Liberty is a really fantastic biography.